Mysore is one of the oldest and favorite spots for tourists who love to discover ancient palaces, museums, heritage, Indian culture, along with vivid scenic beauty and wildlife. The famous festival of Dussehra, which is 10 days long, is famous worldwide and there are many other big celebrations in Mysore which makes it more special.
Apart from this, there are various other things that you must know about Mysore and also, there are some great places to visit in Mysore. In this article, we are going to discuss some of them.
Some Interesting Facts About Mysore
- Oriental Research Institute, which is located in Mysore, has more than 50,000 manuscripts written on palm leaves and is amongst the oldest libraries of India.
- Bangalore is the hub of Technology and software development. After Bangalore, the second spot is given to Mysore in terms of software exporter in Karnataka. Many famous companies like Wipro, Infosys have their operating centres located in this city.
- A Sky Wheel is being constructed here which will be the first in the country. It will have a radius of around 20 kilometres which will give the view of the city to its visitors.
- It also has historical significance in the educational field. In 1916, the University of Mysore was started and in 1924, Mysore Medical College. These were the first universities and medical colleges to be started in the state of Karnataka.
- This place also has a record for publishing the first weekly newspaper in the Kannada language which was started in 1859.
- Another great thing about the city is that the first radio station was started here in 1935 by MV Gopalswamy.
- One of the best places to visit in Mysore is the biggest ‘walk through’ of India which is the Karanji lake. Butterfly Park is also located near to this which can also be visited.
- The famous Tipu Sultan and Haider Ali were great rulers of this place and they developed the first advanced iron caged, metal cylinder rocket artillery which was used against the British army in battles.
- The oldest zoo in the country is also in this city and it has more than 168 different species.
- Many great personalities like the cricketer Javagal Srinath, UR Ananthamurthy- the famous writer, Arathi and Vishnuvardhan- the great actors took birth here.
- Under the Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Reconstruction Mission, Mysore was the first city of the country which got a modernized bus stand. An amount of 11.5 crores was invested in its upgradation.
- This place was ruled by the Wodeyars for more than 500 years which is the only Indian royal family which crossed 500 years ruling any Kingdom.
- There is also a Warship named ‘INS Mysore’ which was launched in 1993 and is named after this famous city.
- There are various other places to visit in Mysore like the Somnath Temple, Brindavan Gardens, Mysore zoo, Chamundeshwari temple, Mysore, Mysore Palace, and various other places for people with different interests.
- You should also not forget to buy the Mysore silk saree and sandal shop of Mysore which is famous everywhere if you go there.
Hope you liked reading about the Mysore city and follow us for more such content.